Coughing is one of the most common health problems. When there is a blockage or irritant in your throat or upper air passages, your brain thinks a foreign element is present and tells your body to cough to remove that element. Coughing can also be due to a viral infection, common cold, flu, and smoking or health problems such as asthma, tuberculosis, and lung cancer.
Some of the symptoms of a cough are itchy throat, chest pain, and congestion. Instead of using over-the-counter cough syrups, you can try some natural cough treatments using readily available ingredients in your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for a cough.
The herb turmeric has a therapeutic effect on coughs, particularly a dry cough.
- You can make a sort of herbal tea by adding one teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of carom seeds to a cup of water, and boil it until water reduces to one-half cup. Add some honey and drink this herbal solution two to three times a day.
- Another way to use turmeric is to roast turmeric root and grind it into a smooth powder. Mix it with water and honey, and drink it twice a day
- You can also put one tablespoon honey and one teaspoon each of turmeric and black pepper in half a cup of water. You can add cinnamon sticks too. Boil it for two to three minutes. Drink it daily until your cough subsides.
Ginger is one of the most popular natural cures for a cough.
- Cut fresh ginger into small slices and crush them slightly. Put them in a cup of water and bring to a boil. Drink this herbal solution three to four times a day for relief from sore throat, non-stop coughing and even congestion.
- You can also chew fresh raw ginger on and off throughout the day to reduce your cough symptoms.
Lemons can be used in a variety of ways for curing coughs. Lemons have properties that reduce inflammation and also provide a dose of infection-fighting vitamin C.
- A simple cough syrup can be made by combining two tablespoons of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey and heating it until warm. Drink this healthy syrup several times a day.
- You can also make your favorite tea and add ginger, honey and lemon and drink it as often as you want.
- Another way to use lemons is to blend lemon juice with a little honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper and then drink it.
Garlic has both antibacterial and antimicrobial components that help treat coughs.
- Boil two to three cloves of garlic in a cup of water and add a teaspoon of oregano. Allow it to cool to room temperature, add some honey and drink it. This will help your breathing and alleviate other cough symptoms.
- Eat a clove of crushed garlic mixed with a few drops of clove oil and some honey for sore throat relief. You can also use garlic in your cooking.
One of the simplest home remedies for a cough is to cut onions. Breathing in the strong vapors can help stop coughing.
- You can also make a cough syrup from baked onion juice, comfrey tea and honey. Drink it daily to get relief from a dry cough.
- Another option is to combine one-half teaspoon of onion juice with one teaspoon of pure honey. Swallow this solution at least twice a day to alleviate a cough and soothe your throat.
6. Hot Milk with Honey
Hot milk with honey can relieve a dry cough and reduce chest pain you may be experiencing from continuous coughing. For best results, drink it before going to sleep. For added benefits from the analgesic properties of honey, swallow a teaspoon of plain honey on empty stomach. This will help clear the mucus and soothe your throat.
Cayenne helps reduce chest pain due to continuous coughing. It is also warming and stimulating.
- Make a healthy cough syrup by mixing one-fourth teaspoon cayenne pepper, one-fourth teaspoon ground ginger, one tablespoon honey, one tablespoon apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of water.
- Drink the syrup two to three times a day.
8. Carrot Juice
Carrots have many vitamins and nutrients that can help relieve various symptoms of a cough.
- Make fresh juice from four to five carrots and add some water to dilute it. For taste and added benefits, add one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink the juice three to four times a day until your symptoms improve.
Grapes have properties that act as an expectorant, releasing the mucus from the affected parts of your respiratory system. The faster you get rid of the mucus, the faster your coughing will end. You can simply eat grapes or make some fresh grape juice. Grape juice with a spoonful of honey will be soothing as well as effective.
Almonds have nutritional properties that play a proactive role in healing cough symptoms.
- Soak five to six almonds in water for 8 to 10 hours.
- Make a smooth paste out of the soaked almonds and add one teaspoon of butter.
- Eat it three to four times a day until your symptoms go away.
These home remedies can give you relief from the various symptoms of a cough without the side effects that come with pills and cough syrups. But if you have continuous coughing for more than two weeks, consult your doctor.
Diet for Cough
Orange Juice and Water
In the case of a severe cough, the patient should fast on orange juice and water till the severity is reduced. The procedure is to take the juice of an orange diluted in a cup of warm water, every two hours from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
After the juice fast, the patient should adopt an all-fruit diet for two or three days. In case of a mild cough, the patient can begin with an all-fruit diet for five to seven days, taking three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, grape-fruit, oranges, pineapples, peaches, and melons. For drinks, unsweetened lemon water, or cold or hot plain water may be given.
Well-Balanced Diet with Emphasis on Wholegrain Cereals, Lightly Cooked Vegetables
After the all-fruit diet, the patient should follow a well-balanced diet, with emphasis on wholegrain cereals, raw or lightly cooked vegetables, and fresh fruits.
Avoid Tea, Coffee, Refined and Processed Foods
The patient should avoid meats, sugar, tea, coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods. He should also avoid soft drinks, candies, ice-cream, and all products made from sugar and while flour.