Most of us have suffered through food poisoning at one time or another. Food poisoning is caused by bacteria or other toxins in food. Some of the symptoms are nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Food poisoning should not be ignored.
When you are suffering from food poisoning, your body will lose more water than normal. So try to stay well hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water throughout the day. The water will help flush out the toxins and bacteria causing your symptoms. Along with water, you can also drink diluted fruit juice and broth. You can also start treatment immediately with simple and readily available ingredients from your kitchen.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for food poisoning.
Ginger is an excellent home remedy for curing almost all types of digestive problems related to food poisoning.
- You can drink one cup of ginger tea after eating lunch or dinner to stop heart burn, nausea and other symptoms associated with food poisoning. To make ginger tea, boil one teaspoon grated ginger in a cup of water for a few minutes, add sugar and your tea is ready
- Add a few drops of ginger juice to one teaspoon of honey and swallow it several times a day to reduce inflammation and pain.
Eating raw ginger increases the acid level in your stomach, which will help you digest your food more quickly.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its alkaline nature, apple cider vinegar can alleviate various food poisoning symptoms. Apple cider vinegar will soothe the gastro-intestinal lining and kill the bacteria, giving you instant relief.
- Just mix two tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and drink it before eating any solid food to prevent acid indigestion.
- Alternatively, you can drink two tablespoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
3. Fenugreek Seeds and Yogurt
Yogurt is another anti-bacterial agent that can counter attack the bacteria that cause food poisoning. You can take one teaspoon fenugreek seeds along with a tablespoon of yogurt. You just need to swallow the seeds and need not chew them. The combining effect of fenugreek seeds and yogurt will give you an immediate relief from stomach pain as well as vomiting.
The anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties in lemons can give you much relief. The acid in lemons helps kill bacteria that cause food poisoning.
- Just add a pinch of sugar to one teaspoon of lemon juice and drink it two to three times a day.
- You can also sip on warm water with lemon juice to clean out your system.
Basil is an excellent herb that can cure infections caused by food poisoning. You can get the benefits from basil in several ways.
- Drink basil juice witha tablespoon of honey several times a day.
- Put a few drops of basil oil in one liter of drinking water. Drink it slowly throughout the day to kill bacteria causing stomach pain and other problems.
- Add basil leaves, some sea salt, and a pinch black pepper to three tablespoons of plain yogurt. Eat this three to four times a day until your symptoms are gone.
Garlic is also very effective in fighting food poisoning due to its strong antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It relieves symptoms such as diarrhea and abdominal pain by destroying unhealthy microbes in the intestines.
- Eat one fresh garlic clove, swallowing it with water. If you can tolerate the smell of garlic, you can also try garlic juice.
- Alternatively, you can make a mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil and rub it on your stomach after eating.
Bananas are a rich source of potassium that greatly helps reduce the various effects of food poisoning. Because bananas are very soft,they are easy on the stomach. Eating just one banana will also help restore your energy level. You can simply eat a ripe banana or make a tasty and healthy banana shake and drink it two to three times a day.
Cumin seeds can control stomach inflammation due to food poisoning.
- Just crush one tablespoon of cumin seeds and swallow it, then drink a glass of water.
- You can also make an herbal drink from cumin seeds, salt, and asafetida. Drink it two to three times a day. This will cleanse the system and relieve your symptoms.
9. Herbal Tea
Sipping on different types of herbal tea can help soothe your disturbed system and keep your body well hydrated. Peppermint tea has a soothing effect on your stomach and can relieve stomach cramps. Comfrey root and meadow sweet tea will treat your stomach infection. If you are experiencing nausea, try licorice tea or chamomile tea as these teas will reduce inflammation and calm your stomach.
Honey has both anti fungal and antibacterial properties that can be effective for treating indigestion and other food poisoning symptoms. Honey as a natural remedy can be taken in its pure form or added to tea. A teaspoon of honey three times a day can do wonders to heal an upset stomach due to food poisoning and indigestion. It also controls the formation of excessive acid in the stomach.
These natural treatments are sure to alleviate the symptoms of food poisoning and help you get instant relief. However, if symptoms continue, consult a doctor immediately.
Diet for Food Poisoning
There is very little you can do to stop food poisoning once you have eaten contaminated food. That is why prevention is the most effective way to stay healthy. The following guidelines will help if you or someone you know comes down with food poisoning.
- Re-hydration – You lose an enormous amount of fluids during a bout of food poisoning, so be sure to drink plenty of fluids. Whether or not you feel up for it, take frequent sips of water, apple juice, broth, bouillon or an isotonic energy drink with electrolytes. Pregnant women, young children, the elderly and people with serious medical conditions are at an especially high risk of dehydration from food poisoning