In the summer, many people complain about sun tanned skin. The sun’s ultraviolet rays increase production of melanin in the body, which results in sun tanned skin. After getting a sun tan, it is not easy to bring your skin back to a normal state but with patience and care it can be done.
Instead of spending money on expensive cosmetic products, you can try some natural treatments. There are many simple natural treatments that can lighten a sun tan and restore a lighter complexion.
Here are the top 10 remedies for sun tanned skin.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon is great for curing sun tanned skin due to its natural bleaching properties.
- You can simply apply some fresh lemon juice on the affected skin area and allow it to dry before washing the area with water.
- You can also add some sugar to lemon juice and apply it on the skin. Sugar is an excellent cleansing agent. Do this two or three times a week for fast results.
Yogurt is very effective in minimizing a sun tan as it cools the skin as well as reduces redness and tightens the pores.
- Take a cup of plain yogurt and add the juice of one cucumber and one tomato.
- Next, add half a cup of gram flour (besan).
- Apply it on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
Plus, simply apply some fresh yogurt on your skin daily before taking a bath. For best results, add tomato juice and lime juice to the yogurt.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel will lighten the skin within a week, if applied daily to the affected area. It also helps cleanse and nourish the skin.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin areas before going to bed.
- In the morning, wash the skin thoroughly.
Raw potato is an excellent remedy for sun tanned skin. Surprisingly, it is rich in vitamin c and hence, works as natural bleach. It also helps soothe sunburn.
- Peel the skin off two to three medium-sized potatoes, cut them into chunks and put them in a blender to make a paste.
- Apply the paste generously all over the affected skin area. Let it dry for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
For best results, can add some lemon juice to the potato paste before applying it.
5. Gram Flour
Gram flour is very useful in treating a sun tan as it helps remove dead skin cells and leaves your skin bright and young. You can use the gram flour powder available in market or make a paste of whole green gram.
- Mix the gram flour in water and rub it all over the affected skin area.
- Wait 20 minutes before washing if off with water.
- Do this twice a week for a few months.
For best results, use rose water instead of plain water. You can also mix some lime juice and yogurt into the paste.
Cucumber juice also helps reduce a sun tan. Cucumbers have a cooling effect that soothes the skin and helps eliminate a suntan. The vitamin C in cucumbers also will help keep the skin well moisturized.
- Mix two tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice and one tablespoon of lime juice. Add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix it well and apply it on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
- You can also rub freshly cut slices of cucumber on your skin.
Milk or milk cream can also be used for treating sun tanned skin.
- Put a small amount of milk in a bowl and add a pinch of turmeric and some lemon juice. Apply this solution on the affected areas and allow it to dry completely. Then wash it off with water. This will give you an instant relief from a sun tan.
- You can also soak a pinch of saffron in fresh milk cream overnight. In the morning, stir it well and apply it on the affected skin areas. This will lighten your complexion and make your skin glow.
Sandalwood is a common ingredient in many beauty products. It can also be used for removing a sun tan due to its skin lightening and anti-aging properties. So, it cleanses your skin and helps you maintain a glowing complexion.
- Mix equal amounts of sandalwood powder and pure turmeric powder. Add some rose water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it on for 30 minutes or untilit dries. Wash it offusing cold water. Do this twice a week.
- You can also mix sandalwood powder with coconut oil and almond oil to make a paste to apply on the affected areas.
A paste made from almonds will cleanse, scrub and lighten your skin tone.
- Soak five to six almonds in water overnight. In the morning,blend the almonds with some milk to make a paste.
- Before bed, apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash it off with cold water.
- Do this daily for the first 15 days and then repeat it twice a week.
10. Oatmeal Powder
Oatmeal has skin-soothing properties and also works as a wonderful exfoliant to cleanse the pores. Thus, oatmeal powder can be used in a couple of ways to reduce a sun tan.
- Prepare a mixture of oatmeal powder and buttermilk. Rub it onto the tanned areas. The oats will help exfoliate the skin, and the buttermilk will soothe the skin.
- You can also make a paste with oatmeal powder, ground almonds, ground dried orange peel and milk. Apply the paste on the affected areas and leave it on for 30 minutes.Then wash it off with cold water.
You can use these remedies to help reduce sun tanned skin. Be sure also to protect your skin from sun exposure.
Diet for Sun Tanned Skin
While your diet alone will not protect you from sunburn, your diet has a direct influence on the health of your skin and it would be a good idea to follow a balanced diet, with a high intake of foods rich in essential nutrients. Here are some suggestions about what to eat when you have sunburn:
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids to keep the skin lubricated. Fresh fruit and vegetables juices also promote quick healing.
- Consuming alcohol can actually delay the process of healing. Therefore it is best to refrain from drinking alcohol or any beverages or foods containing alcohol until the burns have healed completely.
- Recent studies have shown that the nutrients lycopene and beta-carotene aid in healing of burns. Therefore include foods rich in beta-carotene such as yellow vegetables and fruits. Beta-carotene is also found in dark green vegetables such as spinach and broccoli. You can obtain lycopene from tomatoes.