In medical terms, abnormal hair growth (on the face as well as the body) in women is called hirsutism. It has been observed that individuals with dark hair or pigmentation are likely to be hairier than those with a lighter pigmentation or blonde hair.
Issues such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), other hormonal conditions, use of certain medications, or adrenal gland disorders can cause unwanted facial hair. In rare cases, the problem can be caused by a tumor or cancer of the adrenal gland or ovaries.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for unwanted facial hair.
1. Homemade Sugar Wax
This is a super easy and effective home remedy to get rid of unwanted facial hair.
- Mix two teaspoons of granulated sugar (brown or white) and one teaspoon each of honey and water.
- Heat the mixture in a microwave or on a stove for about half a minute until it bubbles and turns brown. Allow it to cool.
- Using a spatula, apply it on the areas where you want to remove the hair.
- Place a cloth strip over the sugar wax and smooth it out with your fingers in the direction of the hair growth.
- Finally, rip it off in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Repeat as needed.
2. Chickpea Flour
A chickpea flour face pack will help exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin and hair. Plus, it can lighten the color of your skin and facial hair. You can get chickpea flour, also known as gram flour or besan, from an Indian market or health food store.
- Mix together two tablespoons of chickpea flour, one tablespoon of milk cream, one and one-half teaspoon of milk, and three-quarter teaspoons of turmeric. Apply this thick paste on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes or until it dries. Scrub it off using a facial loofah pad or simply a soft cloth dipped in lukewarm water. Do this at least three or four times a week for about a month.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of chickpea flour, one-half teaspoon of plain yogurt or rose water, and one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric. Spread it on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes before scrubbing it off.
- Another remedy involves mixing two tablespoons of chickpea flour, one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric and enough milk to make a thick, smooth paste.
3. Green Gram Flour and Rose Water
Like chickpea flour, green gram flour also aids natural hair removal through exfoliation. In addition, the combination of green gram flour and rose water works as a natural cleanser for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Add one and one-half tablespoon of rose water to two tablespoons of green gram flour. You may add one tablespoon of lemon juice as well.
- Spread the paste on your face and leave it on for 20 to 25 minutes before scrubbing it off.
- Do this three to four times a week.
Sugaring works as a natural treatment for removing facial as well as body hair. Unlike waxing, it requires pulling the hair in the direction of the hair growth, which causes less pain and skin irritation. Interestingly, this technique was established centuries ago in Egypt.
- Heat one-quarter cup of water in a pan.
- Add two cups of granulated sugar and one-quarter cup of lemon juice to it. Continue heating the paste until bubbles appear.
- Turn down the heat to low-medium and let it simmer for about 25 minutes until it turns dark amber in color. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Prepare your skin by dusting a little cornstarch or baby powder on your skin and then spread the lukewarm mixture on your face in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Put a clean rag or cotton strip over the layer of sugar paste and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Finally, pull it off quickly in the direction of the hair growth.
5. Spearmint Tea
Excess hair growth is often attributed to excessive production of androgen in the body. Spearmint tea can help regulate hormone levels.
A study conducted by Turkish researchers indicates that spearmint tea can help women with hirsutism. The study subjects were given herbal spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycles. The follicular phase begins on the first day of your cycle and lasts about 14 days.
- Boil a cup of water. Add one teaspoon of dried spearmint to it. If you have fresh spearmint leaves, use four or five of them.
- Cover the container and let it steep for about five to 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea.
- Have it twice daily.
6. Lemon Juice and Honey
Being sticky in nature, a lemon juice and honey mask can help remove fine hair from your face. The lemon juice works as a cleansing and exfoliating agent and the honey helps soften the hair due to its hydrating and moisturizing properties.
Moreover, being an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, it will help avoid skin irritation and breakout. Because of its bleaching quality, lemon juice will also help lighten your facial skin and hair.
- Mix one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and four tablespoons of honey.
- Apply it on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gently remove the mask with a washcloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Do this at least twice a week for a few months.
7. Egg, Sugar and Corn FlourThis recipe works as a great natural peel-off mask to remove facial hair and impurities from your skin.
- Whisk one egg white and add one tablespoon of sugar and one-half tablespoon of corn flour to it.
- Apply the mixture to your face, let it dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then peel it off.
- Repeat the process three or four times a week.
8. Lentil Face Pack
A face pack prepared from powdered red lentils, or masoor dal, works as an excellent face scrub to get rid of unwanted facial hair.
- Grind and sieve one-half cup of red lentils a few times to get a fine powder.
- Mix two tablespoons of the powder with sufficient milk or honey to make a paste.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes. Store the rest of the powder in an airtight container.
- Apply the mixture to your face, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then scrub it off.
- Use it two or three times a week. If you have dry skin, use it once a week.
You can also add sandalwood powder, dried orange peel powder, rose water, and potato juice in this beauty pack. These ingredients are great for your skin. Potato juice, in particular, can help lighten your facial hair and skin tone.
Turmeric can be combined with a number of ingredients to get rid of unwanted facial hair naturally.
- Mix equal amounts of turmeric and whole wheat flour. Add sufficient sesame oil to make a thick paste. Smear it on your face and let it sit for about half an hour before scrubbing it off. Repeat the process once a week.
- Alternatively, combine two teaspoons of turmeric powder with enough milk or rose water to make a paste. Apply it to your face and allow it to dry. Finally, scrub it off.
Additional tip : To remove the yellow coloration on your skin left behind after the application of turmeric, dip a cotton ball in milk and rub it on your skin.
Papaya works as natural bleach and helps lighten unwanted facial hair.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder in raw papaya pulp. Gently massage your face with it and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Do this once a week.
- Alternatively, apply a mixture of one-half cup of papaya pulp and one tablespoon of milk. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then wash it off.
For encouraging results, be patient and use one or more of these remedies daily or three to four times a week for at least one month.
Diet Plan Of Facial Hair
1. Lemon and Sugar
In order to use lemon and sugar for hair removal, you should mix 1 fresh lemon with 1 spoon of sugar. You should also use a little water so as to dissolve the sugar. Leave the mixture on your face for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. If you do this regularly, at least 3 times a week, you will begin to see a noticeable reduction in hair growth. It works kind of like an exfoliating agent with the lemon acting as an antiseptic and astringent.
2. Lemon Juice and Gram Flour
Another quick and easy method of removing unwanted facial hair is lemon juice and gram flour mixture. Squeeze 10ml of lemon juice into a cup of water and then add 30g of gram flour, mixing well. Once this mixture has been applied to your face, you should wait 15 minutes then gently scrub the affected area in the direction of hair growth to remove the unwanted facial hair.
3. Milk and Turmeric
A combination of milk and turmeric powder is a popular hair removal technique used by Indian women. Used since ancient times, some proponents claim it can stop hair growth indefinitely. In order to use it, simply mix chickpea flour, turmeric powder, and milk in a bowl until you form a thick paste. Apply thinly to the area you want to be hair-free, scrubbing gently in a circular motion. Once the paste has dried wait about 20 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
4. Egg, Sugar and Corn Flour
This method is very easy because most people will have all the necessary ingredients already in their kitchen. Simply take the white of one egg and add 1tbsp of sugar and ½ tbsp. of corn flour. Mix and beat the combination to make a paste and then apply to the unwanted hair on your face. Once dried it will form a thin mask which when pulled off, will pull out the unwanted hair.
5. Lemon Juice and Honey
Combine 1 part fresh lemon juice and 4 parts honey and mix well. Then, soak a cotton ball or pad in the mixture and rub gently over the unwanted facial hair for about 10-15 minutes. After half an hour, rinse the face with warm water. In order to see a noticeable effect you should repeat this process at least twice a week