Medically known as urticaria, hives is an ailment of the skin which causes rings and patches all over the body. Hives are caused by a chemical termed as histamine, which is why red blotches form on the skin surface. These appear in groups and are generally red in color. Hives appear in different sizes, varying on how serious the illness is. It is usually caused when a person is allergic to a particular thing. These may be a particular medicine, nuts, eggs, berries, insect bites, jelly fish, etc. at times, it also occurs due to tight clothes, exposure to extreme weather, hereditary or even sweat. The most common symptoms of hives are swelling on the affected region, itchiness, pain and difficulty in doing routine activity. However, hives can be cured at home retreating to the natural remedies. Learn how to treat hives at home.
Home Remedy For Hives :
- The most popular and effective way to cure hives would be to ka e cool compresses. Taking cool showers or bath would help in treating hives.
- A natural way to cure hives would be to apply Vitamin E oil on the affected area. Repeat the process at least two times a day.
- Fill half of the bathtub with lukewarm water and add ½ cup each of cornstarch and baking soda. Soak the body in this water. It is an effective remedy for treating hives.
- Drinking peppermint, chamomile or valerian tea is helpful in curing hives. These soothe the mind and are thus helpful in treating hives.
- Coat the affected area with Aloe Vera. This is helpful in curing hives. One can either go for the pulp of Aloe Vera or the cream containing it.
- Prepare tea adding 2 tsp of powdered stinging nettle. To this, add a tsp of honey or a few drops of lemon for flavor. Nettles are known to have healing effect over the hives.
- Increase the consumption of foods that are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin E with Zinc.
- Mix 2 cups of oatmeal and 3 tsp of cornstarch. Add a little water to make a paste. Coat the hive-affected area with this paste for about half an hour. Then, wash with water.
- Swimming in chlorine water is beneficial in treating hives. It would help to drive out the hives.
- In a tsp of olive oil or vegetable oil, add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract. Apply this mixture over the affected area. This solves dual purpose – reduces itching as well as heals hives.
- Alternatively, add grapefruit seed extract in a cup of water. spray the solution on the affected area.
- Dab milk of magnesia on the affected area. This would remove the irritation as well as the itching. Apply this several times a day.
- It is advisable to avoid any kind of heat in the body. This would dilate the blood vessel and increases the hives instead.
- In a cup of boiling water, add a tablespoon of oatmeal. Allow it to steep for half an hour. Thereafter, strain the mixture and apply it over the affected using a cotton ball.
Diet for Urticaria
Diet plays a very important role in the treatment of urticaria, especially in the case of a food allergy. The first step in planning your diet for urticaria is to avoid the food that is causing the reaction. If you are unsure as to what food caused your reaction, you would need to make a list of all the foods that you have consumed in the last 24 hours and avoid all of them if possible. Try to recall if your diet in the last 48 hours included foods that you do not usually consume. Take away food, especially Chinese food is often associated with food allergies due to the spices and condiments that are used to prepare them.
In addition to this, it would be wise to stick to a bland diet for a few days or until the symptoms subside. Avoid foods like shellfish, eggs, and pineapples as they could aggravate your condition. It would also be best if you also avoid milk and milk products, eggs, and soy products.