If you’re sick, and don’t feel like going out, t’s convenient to stay indoors and use some home remedies for chest congestion. Chest congestion is a heaviness and pressure in the as a result of an obstruction to the flow of oxygen into the lungs. Chest congestion can happen as a result of various ailments like the flu, common cold, viral infections or even heart disease. It may also happen due to a buildup of mucus and can lead to asthma and other respiratory problems. Symptoms of congestion include difficulty in breathing, wheezing and pressure on chest.
Most of the time congestion in the chest can be eased by using easy home remedies. The following are top seven home remedies for chest congestion :
1. Onion : Onions have antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties and can help prevent infection. To use onions as a home remedy against chest congestion extract juice of one onion and mix equal parts lemon juice, honey and water to make a mixture. Use this mixture lukewarm everyday for relief. Sautéing sliced onions in olive oil and eating also cures congestion.
2. Hot Tea : Teas with different herbs like ginger, cardamom and peppermint can help ease congestion along with sore throats. Hot teas give relief by loosening phlegm and soothing. They also contain essential nutrients that help boost the body’s natural immune system.
3. Spicy foods : Spicy foods like cayenne pepper and chili powder can clear blocked up sinuses and bronchial tubes. Capsaicin; the active ingredient in cayenne pepper has been found to decrease congestion when nasally administered. It is also widely used to treat pain and inflammation. Eating spices like chilies and jalapenos can help against chest congestion by loosening mucus and clearing up the sinuses.
4. Fennel : Fennel is one herb which is very advantageous in bringing relief from chest congestion and mucus buildup. Sautéing fennel is the one way to use the herb, although mixing with curry powder also helps. Although fennel can be eaten raw, making a tea out of the herb is most beneficial. Just steep one and a half teaspoon of the herb in one cup boiling water for fifteen minutes.
5. Turmeric : Turmeric is widely used in home remedies to alleviate chest congestion. Mixing equal parts of turmeric and apple cider vinegar in hot tea is one way to use turmeric; another is to add one spoon of turmeric to hot milk and drinking it. Massaging the chest with turmeric is also a known way of using it.
6. Parsley : Parsley is another herb that can help assuage chest congestion by releasing histamines in the body and helping fight infections. Parsley leaves can be chewed plain to help against congestion.
7. Ginger : Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and so can help soothe chest congestion. Ginger can be consumed in the form of ginger tea or seeped in warm water to help with congestion. Drinking a concoction of ginger in warm water can bring relief if done twice daily.
Diet for Chest Congestion
Chest congestion is usually a sign of a weak immune system. To improve your immune system and get rid of the congestion, consume a balanced diet. A diet rich in vitamin C and E can help boost up your immune system and take care of the congestion. With that, you can also drink herbal tea twice or thrice a day. Herbal teas also have many nutrients and help make your defense system stronger. A lot of citrus fruits like oranges, lime, grapefruit, and pineapple can be consumed to ensure that your immune system stays healthy and you are not affected by common cold.
In some instances your health care provider may also prescribe some nutritional supplements, but it would be best not to start self medicating with any supplements. Your doctor or a nutritionist would be in the best position to guide you in terms of dosage.