There’s no doubt—naturally rosy lips are an appealing feature of a woman’s beauty or a man’s good looks. So, many people who have dark lips want to lighten them.
Some of the main causes of dark lips are excessive exposure to direct sunlight, an allergic reaction, use of low-quality cosmetics, chewing tobacco, excessive smoking, high caffeine intake, and hormonal imbalances.
There are many ways to lighten dark lips that don’t require buying expensive products or treatments. Natural home remedies can effectively lighten your lips. The time it takes for these remedies to work varies, so use them as long as needed to achieve the results you want.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dark lips.
Lemon is often used to treat dark skin patches and spots, and you can use it to naturally lighten dark lips, too. The bleaching property in lemon works well as a simple yet powerful remedy for dark lips.
- Squeeze a lemon and apply the juice on your lips before going to bed. Follow this simple remedy daily for one to two months.
- Take a thin slice of lemon, sprinkle a bit of sugar on top and rub it on your lips. It will exfoliate dead cells so new, fresh skin can appear. Use this remedy daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a mixture of one-half teaspoon each of lemon juice, glycerin and honey. Apply it on your lips before going to bed. Do this daily until you see positive results.
Rose has three main medicinal properties: soothing, cooling, and moisturizing. Rose will also help add a natural pink tint to your dark lips.
- Mix one drop of rose water with a few drops of honey and apply it on your lips. Do this three or four times a day.
- Mix one tablespoon of rose petal paste and one teaspoon of butter, honey, or milk cream. Apply it on your lips and gently scrub. Follow this remedy two times a week.
- Soak a few rose petals in raw milk for one hour, and then grind the mixture to make a paste. Add one-half teaspoon of honey and a pinch of saffron to it. Apply the paste on your lips and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Do this two times a day.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil can also be used to make your lips lively and vibrant. Olive oil contains many essential nutrients to nurture your lips and its moisturizing property will make them soft and beautiful.
- Apply a few drops of extra virgin olive oil on your lips and massage it gently. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon of sugar and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. Scrub your lips gently with this mixture once a week. This simple recipe will restore your natural lip color and shine within a month or two.
Exfoliating your lips regularly will remove dead skin cells that can make them look dark and dull. Sugar works as a great exfoliating agent.
- Blend three tablespoons of granulated sugar and two tablespoons of butter to make a thick paste. Scrub your lips gently with the paste. Do this once a week to restore your natural lip color and shine.
- You can also make a scrub by mixing one teaspoon of granulated sugar, one teaspoon of honey, and one-half teaspoon of almond oil. Use it to scrub your lips once a week.
- Alternatively, you can simply mix some sugar with cold cream and use it to scrub your lips gently before going to bed. Do this once a week.
Another readily available ingredient that can help you get pink lips is beetroot. Beetroot has natural bleaching properties that can lighten dark lips.
- Apply fresh beetroot juice on your lips before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning. The natural red color of the juice will turn your dark lips rosy. Do this daily before going to bed.
- You can mix equal amounts of beetroot juice and carrot juice and apply it on your lips. Massage gently and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily for a week or two.
Pomegranate is ideal for treating dark lips. It can nourish and moisturize dry and dehydrated lips as well as help restore their natural pink color.
- Mix together one tablespoon of crushed pomegranate seeds and a little milk cream and rose water. Apply this paste on your lips and gently scrub for a few minutes.Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.
- Mix equal amounts of pomegranate juice, beetroot juice and carrot juice. Apply it on your dark lips once daily.
Cucumber works as a skin-lightening agent that will help make your lips, as well as your skin, a lighter shade. Simply rub a slice of cucumber against your lips gently so that your lips absorb the juice. Do this for five minutes each day.
Berries like raspberries and strawberries contain vital minerals and vitamins that are highly essential for keeping your lips healthy and vibrant. Both raspberries and strawberries also can turn dark lips into rosy pink lips.
- Mix one-half tablespoon of raspberry juice with a little aloe vera gel and honey. Apply the paste on your lips and scrub gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this three or four times a week.
- Mix one tablespoon of strawberry juice with two tablespoons of petroleum jelly. Use this mixture as lip balm twice daily.
Honey is a natural moisturizing ingredient that can soften your lips and help restore their natural pink color.
- Apply honey on your lips before going to bed and leave it on overnight. In the morning, wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this daily to make your lips pink.
- Mix one-half teaspoon each of yogurt, honey, and gram flour to make a paste. Apply the paste on your lips and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once daily.
10. Almond Oil
Almond oil is another widely used home remedy for dark lips due to its softening and moisturizing properties.
- Mix five or six drops of almond oil with one tablespoon of honey and put it on your lips whenever they feel dry. Within days, your lips will become soft and smooth and have a natural pink glow.
- Massage your lips with a mixture of equal amounts of castor oil and almond oil to lighten their color.
- Mix coconut oil and almond oil in equal amounts. Apply a coat of this mixture on your lips before going to bed and leave it on overnight. Do this daily.
Using these simple remedies will make your lips bloom like a rose, but it may take some time to see results. Be patient, and try different remedies to find the one that works best for you.
Diet Dark Lips
Much like the skin on the rest of the body, the lips also must be kept hydrated. Here are some dietary tips which help in relieving cracked and chapped lips.
- Ensure an adequate intake of water and other fluids on a daily basis.
- Follow a healthy and balanced diet comprising of a variety of different foods. The body requires a steady supply of several vitamins and minerals in order to stay healthy. Consume lots of fresh fruits and vegetables as these are rich in antioxidants. This helps to protect the body from the adverse effects of free radicals which affect the cells. In case you are unable to obtain all your nutrients from the diet, speak to your doctor regarding the intake of nutritional supplements.
- Vitamin A is an especially important vitamin for good health of the skin as it helps in repair and maintenance. You can obtain vitamin A from foods such as milk, apricots, carrots and milk.
- Vitamin C which is contained in citrus fruits and several vegetables helps to protect the body from sun damage and also aids in tissue repair. Vitamin C even increases collagen production and this makes the lips fuller and suppler.
- Nuts, leafy vegetables and eggs contain high amounts of vitamin E which helps to prevent lines and wrinkles. Ageing can also cause dryness of the lips and hence it is important to supply your body with adequate amounts of this vitamin. Vitamin E is also present in many skin care products.