Glaucoma can be a debilitating condition — patients can lose their eyesight if they do not keep the pressure in their eyes under control. Medicines for glaucoma have several side effects, so using natural supplements may be a good alternative. The top natural supplements for glaucoma are :
Vitamin C has been successfully used to treat internal eye pressure whith promising results within a week’s time. Vitamin C can also be ingested in the form of Sodium Ascorbate.
Perhaps one of the best natural treatments for glaucoma is a daily dose of flavonoid complex supplements. These supplements have all five required flavonoids: lavones, flavanones, flavanols, anthocyanins, and catechins. These have not only shown to be promising for the reversal of glaucoma, but are good for general health, too.
This increases the availability of oxygen in the eye, helping clear congestion in the process. Organic germanium is found in herbs that are medicinal in nature. Many medical studies have established that germanium can be a blessing when it comes to vision and ocular diseases.
Turmeric, also known as Curcuma Longa, contains a pigment called curcumin that acts as an excellent, natural glaucoma treatment because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It also has antioxidant properties and may help with other ailments. The effect of this treatment is comparable to the analgesic effects of ibuprofen, cortisone, and phenylbutazone.
Referred to as Vaccinium Myrtillus, this can help stabilize collagen in the body. Bilberry also prevents damage caused by high blood pressure because of its anti-oxidizing properties within the eyes.
This supplement helps reduce internal eye pressure. An amount of 0.5 mg of melatonin is ideal as an everyday supplement.
A daily dosage of magnesium supplements has also proven to be a remarkable natural treatment for glaucoma. It is extremely useful in regulating internal eye pressure because it dilates blood vessels. Magnesium also sharpens the eyesight by improving blood flow to the eyes.
Diet for glaucoma
- The best diet to fight glaucoma is including foods which are high in antioxidant vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin B complex. These nutrients will help to protect the eyes. Seeds, nuts, whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables are good sources of these nutrients.
- Avoid coffee, as the high caffeine content elevates blood pressure, increasing intraocular pressure (IOP).
- Carrots and dark green leafy vegetables are very helpful they have been found to lowered glaucoma risk by almost 60%.
- Drinking green tea may help to protect the eyes. A study found that the retina and aqueous humor absorb the antioxidants in green tea.
- Exercise and stress reduction are important for people with glaucoma.
- Meditation also relaxes the body and reduces stress. Breathing deeply and focusing on your breath during meditation lets you take in more oxygen, making you feel calm and peaceful.